How to be both a self-employed person and a civil servant?

You are a public servant and you want to gain more financial freedom. You are therefore thinking about starting a self-employed person without leaving your civil servant position. Is it possible to combine the two statuses? What kinds of activities should you choose to self-engage in? Is it necessary to resign? You will find answers to these questions in this article.

Is it possible to accumulate the status of auto-entrepreneur by being a civil servant?

The deontology of the civil servant status normally prohibits combining this status with that of an auto-entrepreneur status. The condition for combining the two statuses is to make a request to the authority under which you are.

The request is subject to a reduction in working time in order to devote part of your time to your project. Therefore, you will now work part time as a civil servant. However, this accumulation can only be done over a period of 3 years.

At the end of this period, you will have to choose the status you want to keep. You would have had time to assess the viability of your project in order to make a rational choice. We recommend that you seek assistance from a business creation advisor or, failing that, approach the employment center to be guided by the advisers.

What activities are compatible and what activities are incompatible when you are a civil servant?

While maintaining your full-time civil servant status, be aware that there are activities that can be practiced. On the other hand, some areas are incompatible if you are a public servant.

Activities that can be combined with civil servant status

If you have the status of civil servant, the activities that you can cumulate are:

  • Consultant or expert activity
  • Cultural or sporting activities, this takes into account entertainment and supervision activities
  • Farming activity
  • Commercial, liberal or craft activity, provided it is carried out in collaboration with his spouse
  • Home help activity
  • Personal services

In addition, for civil servant teachers, for example, they can also practice an activity which results from their main activity. For example, they can publish and sell books.

The activities that it is better to avoid combining

When you make the request for cumulative status, it is the Public Service Ethics Commission (CDFP) which studies your request. It is she who assesses whether the activity you are going to practice does not go against your commitments as a civil servant. In practice, this is to avoid activities that conflict of interest with your function. For example, it would not be admissible for a civil servant to participate in the governing bodies of for-profit companies.

Could I get into my own business full time?

To start a full-time self-business, that amounts to no longer being a civil servant. In general, you have to wait until the activity is set up and proves to be viable. In this case, you can either resign or request a layoff from your hierarchy.

Availability by your hierarchy

This solution is the most flexible and offers you more simplicity. In this case, you simply decide to take a time to test the viability of your idea. You must make a request to your hierarchy, who will study it and give you the authorization.

It is valid for 2 years. During this period, you will have no salary, no retirement contribution and no paid vacation. If after this period you realize that your self-business is not profitable, you can resume your job. Otherwise, you can choose to resign.

Resign to practice your full-time self-employed business

You must notify your decision to resign to your superiors at least 3 months in advance, to give the administration time to organize your departure and replace you at the post. Resigning from a civil servant position to devote himself full time to his full-time self-employment entitles you to severance pay.

Scroll to Top