Whether you’ve forgotten it or want to make your email more secure, changing a Gmail password is relatively straightforward.
So, depending on the case, you can change your Gmail password by modifying it or obtain your new password by reset.
We explain how to do this in detail.
Why change your Gmail account password?
You can do this primarily in order to strengthen the security of your email. Especially when you have noticed suspicious activity or connection attempts on your Google account. Your account may have been hacked, in which case changing your password is a good idea to better secure your email.
You can also change your Gmail password because you forgot it and no longer have access to your account. Resetting it is then the opportunity for you to obtain a new password, which may be less complex to memorize.
Change your Gmail password by modification
You can change your Gmail password by changing it. This procedure is usually done for security reasons and only when you know your current password. The process is essentially the same when proceeding on a smartphone or via your computer.
- Go to myaccount.google.com and enter your credentials (Gmail address and current password) to log into your account.
- Then find and select the option to connect to google.
- Then, select Password and re-enter your account credentials (if requested)
- Finally, enter your new password and click on Change password to complete the operation.
Change your Gmail password by reset
This procedure applies when you do not know your password or have forgotten it. You must reset your password to get a new one. Here’s how to do it very easily.
- With your smartphone or on your computer, go to the login page and click on Login problem.
- Once redirected to the account recovery page, you should select the I don’t know my password option and continue.
- Then you will probably have to solve a captcha to verify that you are the holder of the account concerned.
- Choose one of the recovery options offered for sending the verification code: alternative e-mail address or telephone number.
- On the next page, you must correctly enter the verification code you received and click continue.
- Finally, you will be prompted to enter your new password. It must be a password that you have never used with your account.