Lost or stolen international permit: How to do the paperwork when you don’t understand anything?

You plan to go on a trip abroad or you are already abroad and unfortunately you can no longer find your international license. It may have been stolen where you lost it, what are the procedures if you are in France or abroad? The procedures will differ and will be more or less simple depending on the location.

Loss of international license abroad

As a French national living abroad, for less than 6 months, you must make a request by post. You must provide all the standard documents (copy of identity card, French license, etc.), which you provided for the international license application, but in addition you must add:

  • The cerfa number 14881 * 01,
  • A residence permit from the host country
  • A certificate of residence in France of less than 6 months
  • Two passport photos
  • A document mentioning the date of departure, if it concerns a business trip

Declaration of loss or theft

You will also have to make a declaration of loss or theft, so that your documents are not used by anyone other than you. Depending on a loss or theft, the procedures are different

  • In case of theft, you will need to report to the local law enforcement authorities and then go to the embassy or consulate, to whom you will need to show a copy of your statement.
  • In case of loss, you can go directly to the nearest embassy or consulate and file a loss declaration.

You must attach a copy of the declaration of loss or theft which will be given to you by the embassy or consulate with your application for renewal of an international driving license. You should know that they will give you a copy of your international license, which you can use for a period of 2 months.

Loss of international driving license in France

Like the classic driving license, you can apply for an international driving license in the event of loss or theft. You can do it directly online with the Auto Démarches site, you just need to provide the supporting documents and complete the form.

Documents, such as an identity document, a proof of address, a copy of your driving license, will be required. You can attach them in a digitized version to facilitate the procedures. However, you will still have to send the certificate of filing the online application, an identity photo, as well as a stamped envelope by post.

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on skype
Share on twitter
Scroll to Top